Witnesses have an important role within the justice system. To fulfil their roles and responsibilities they need to have an understanding of the litigation process and be aware of the legislation, regulations, rules and guidance applicable to their expert or professional work. This course is based on practical case studies developed from everyday questions and challenges for expert witnesses.
- Understanding the criminal litigation process and the roles and responsibilities of witnesses
- Evaluating the principles governing the admissibility, reliability and weight of evidence
- Analysing the role of an expert
- Understanding Criminal Procedure Rules and Practice Directions
- Considering the key stages in the litigation process and working effectively with the lawyers
- Handling disclosure, privilege, confidentiality, bias, PII and legal concepts in evidence
- Practical case studies will be used to enhance learning and understanding